Orlando Female Attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary

Home > Practice Areas > High Net Worth Divorces > Parental Relocation

Parental Relocation & Custody Attorney in Orlando, Florida (FL)

Aggressive Representation to Protect Your Parental Rights

Representing High Net Worth Clients With Complex & Contentious Child Custody Issues Throughout the State of Florida.

Orlando child custody attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary works diligently to guide our clients past the acrimonious feelings that can interfere with the negotiation of a workable parenting plan.  She recognizes that an amicable agreement about time-sharingand decision-making involving a couple’s children usually benefits parents and their minor children.  Attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary also understands that some scenarios tend to make reaching such an agreement more difficult.  When a divorce or paternity action involves a parental relocation more than 50 miles from the moving parent’s current residence, these types of child custody cases often become contentious.

High-Conflict Parental Move-Away Cases in Florida

There are many legitimate reasons a parent involved in a divorce might want to move to another state or country, which include a better job, promotion, or support of extended family just to list a few examples.  Because a non-local move by a parent with the minor children will make it more difficult for the other parent to spend time with their child, these types of child custody disputes often are hotly contested.  A father left behind might believe the move is a calculated attempt to limit his access to his children.   Parental relocations often occur in the context of a divorce and pose special challenges in crafting a parenting plan that protects the rights of both parents.  Florida has a special parental relocation statute that establishes the procedure for handling a parental move away.

Penalties for Unilaterally Relocating

Florida Statutes Section 61.13001 requires a parent seeking to move more than 50 miles from his or her residence for at least sixty consecutive days (excluding temporary absences for education, vacation, or health care for the child) to obtain the consent of the other parent or file a motion for permission from the court. Compliance with this statute is critically important because a parent who disregards this requirement can be subject to contempt.  The court also can consider the conduct in future parenting plans and times-sharing arrangements.

Court Procedures for Parental Relocations

When a parent is going to relocate more than fifty miles from his or her residence, a Petition to Relocate must be served on the other parent (or other parties with time-sharing under existing custody orders).  If you are a dad who receives this notice from mom, you should seek immediate legal advice because you have only twenty days to file a response objecting to the move.  If you fail to respond, the other parent’s move with the child typically will be granted. Even if you are not opposed to the relocation, you should still file a response to protect your rights of parental decision-making and time-sharing.

Florida law does not provide a presumptionfor or against a relocation if the parent who wishes to move has some amount of time-sharing. The parent requesting permission to move must establish that the relocation is in the best interest of the child.  The parent opposing the move then will have the burden of establishing the move is not in the child’s best interest.  It is important to note that Florida courts have determined that a parent’s desire to relocate standing alone does not constitute the “substantial change of circumstances” needed to permit the judge to modify custody.

When evaluating whether to grant the relocation request, the court will consider the following factors:

  • Duration of the relationship and involvement of the nonrelocating parent with the child (or other party opposing relocation) and sibling, half-siblings, and other significant person’s in the child’s life who are not relocating
  • Preference of the child (depends on age and maturity)
  • The age, developmental stage, and needs of the child, as well as the impact on the child’s educational, emotional, and physical development (any special needs will be considered)
  • Domestic violence or substance abuse involving either parent
  • The parties’ relative employment and economic situation along with whether the relocation is necessary to improve these circumstances
  • Occupational and other opportunities available to the nonmoving parent if the relocation occurs
  • Basis for requesting and opposing the move
  • Fulfillment of financial responsibilities by the nonrelocatingparty (e.g. property division, alimony, child support)
  • Good faith nature of the request to move (e.g. not a pretext to interfere with the parental relationship of the other party)
  • Whether a meaningful relationship between the child and the nonrelocating parent can be maintained given financial, logistical, and other factors
  • Extent relocation will improve the quality of life of the requesting party ANDthe child
  • Other relevant factors

Special Issues Involving High-Profile Parents

While parental move-away cases pose difficult challenges for all parents, professional athletes, actors/actresses, professionals, CEOs, and other high-profile individuals are particularly likely to confront this issue.  These types of careers often involve frequent relocation and prolonged periods away from home.  Given the transient nature of housing for celebrities who must relocate for years at a time for work, high-profile parents often need an attorney experienced with parental relocation cases.  Because Orlando parental relocation attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary has experience representing celebrities facing these issues, she has the creativity and knowledge needed to strive for a resolution in parental move-away cases favorable to her clients.

We have law offices in Orlando, however we assist celebrities and high net worth clientele throughout the entire state of Florida. If you are concerned that your divorce or paternity case might involve complex issues that tend to be contentious like a parental relocation, we invite you to schedule a consultation with an experienced Orlando child custody move-away attorney.  We have law offices in Orlando and practice in Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake, Brevard, and Volusia counties.  To schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney, you can call our office at 1-888-640-2999.

Beryl Thompson-McClary

390 N. Orange Ave., Suite #2300
Orlando, Florida 32801

Tel: 1-888-640-2999
Open: 8 AM to 5 PM (weekend or evening are available by appointment)

Google Maps / Cell Phone Directions |  Email Us


"Orlando Attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary is one of the most aggressive lawyers you will ever meet. I don't think I have ever found an attorney who fights hard for you. Her legal advice and wisdom has been invaluable to me. I highly recommend that you contact Beryl Thompson-McClary first."

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
5 / 5 stars

Orlando Office Location

Beryl Thompson-McClary

390 N. Orange Ave., Suite 2300
Orlando, Florida 32801
Tel: 1-888-640-2999
Fax: 1-321-286-5888

Click For Mobile GPS


Articles & Legal Information

Who gets the dog or cat in a Florida divorce?

How is the Custody of a Pet Determined in a Florida Divorce Case?

Many people value their pet as they do their own children.  Hence, during a divorce, the custody of a pet can become a source of debate between the parties.  However, some question as to whether a court can provide or even…
High net worth divorce attorney in Orlando, Florida

Am I Entitled to Alimony in My Florida Divorce Case?

Being financially secure is one of the main concerns when pursuing a divorce in Florida.  If you and your spouse shared certain assets and liabilities for a certain period of time, it may be overwhelming to consider what your financial…
Contact Orlando Attorney Beryl Thompson-McClary

What is Included In a Florida Parenting Plan?

Under Florida law, a parenting plan is necessary in all cases involving the timesharing of a minor child.  Hence, even if you and your spouse agree on all custodial issues, this agreement must be provided for in a formal parenting…